So, some updates of the things that have been going on in my life since the last update, because I’m waiting for my car to get some overdue scheduled maintenance and I forgot to bring my Switch, so why not.
I’ve been on the blood thinners for… a week, now? I think? I still get occasional headaches and dizziness from them but it’s starting to sort itself out. One of the interesting things I’ve noticed is that ever since starting on them, I’ve been having less constipation, like it’s undoing that effect of the gabapentin. I wonder if there’s something going on like increased circulation means better water delivery to the bowel or something. I dunno. Anyway the clot has definitely subsided and that’s the main point to this.
Work’s gotten a bit better. I decided to be the change I want to see in the world and started a serious effort to document stuff to make it less tricky. Other folks seem to be really appreciative of it, and maybe I can even get others to help out on this. Who knows! Anyway that’s reduced my stress a lot. Also I figured out how to automate an onboarding step that was previously manual, but of course also documented what to do if it fails. The tool I found for doing this particular thing can also help to clean up a bunch of other processes.1
I haven’t really been working on music for a while, but I’ve finally done a pretty big thing on Publ: the ability to attach entries to other entries! In particular this makes it so I can finally import all my old Oh No Robot transcripts over, which I have done. At some point I’ll also write a little crowdsourcing thing to make it so that people can help with transcribing all the ones without transcripts, and in the meantime I’ve also made my comic publishing script prompt me to add a transcript myself when I add a new one.
If I do a crowdsourcing module I’ll absolutely opensource it so that people can use it on their own Publ-based comic sites. (It will absolutely be Publ-specific, though.)
… Oh heck, I just realized this could also be used to implement a comment system. And server-side webmentions, and so many other things. Huh. I’m gonna have to think about this. My original plan for server-side webmentions was to roll that into whatever I write for ActivityPub since I was going to build it as a more generic publish-subscribe hub (so I can also get myself off of webmention.io and Superfeedr and Bridgy Fed) and… well okay I don’t think making comments/mentions/etc. into separate entries for each thing is necessarily the right way to go but it’s still something to consider, and might be nice for someone who’s building a site from the ground up.
Plus, there’s always something nice about removing a database dependency and making the data more replicated, and pushing it closer to the edges. And there’s no reason it has to be an entry per response, when they could be rolled up into a single responses entry or something.
But I’m also not in a huge hurry to, say, rewrite isso, either. I’d really rather just follow through on my plan to adding a better moderation system (or better yet a moderation plugin system, so it can use bogofilter or akismet or whatever) to it.
Hmm, what else. I guess I’ve been having a lot more anxiety lately. I ended up taking a stress reduction and mindfulness seminar that was offered by One Medical and it was nice to get a refresher on stuff and learning a few more grounding techniques. I’m also finding that the new keyboard tray has been helping my pain a lot. It’s not a panacea, of course, but every little thing helps.
Anyway, I guess that’s enough rambling for now. I still have half an hour left until my car is ready, so, time to figure out something else I can do from my iPad.
(Infrastructure lead trying to poach me onto his team intensifies) ↩