Time to upgrade my printer
So, I’ve had a Makerbot Replicator Duo since late 2012; I bought it used at a significant discount (“only” $1200!) and it’s served me pretty okay. But over time, better, cheaper printers have come along, and my Replicator has gotten pretty unreliable. Actually it’s been pretty much hobbling along for the last several years:
- The heated print bed stopped heating, due to it shorting out due to a well-known design flaw in the print bed connector1
- One of the last firmware updates made it only compatible with Makerbot’s own proprietary software, which was very soon discontinued to upsell newer Makerbot versions
- The left extruder stopped working at some point; the right extruder barely works
- The hot end really needs new nozzles but the design is such that replacing the nozzle is very easy to crossthread/ruin the hot end2
- And really it’s never been all that great, it was just pretty much the only game in town when I bought it
So anyway, yeah, this upgrade is long-overdue.