It's a great job with some great people, and the fact that I quit this job for greener pastures only to very quickly come back says a lot.
This is to develop an established media application platform that has already been used in quite a few consumer-facing applications, and gaining more all the time.
Drop me a line at [my pseudonym]@[this domain] if you're at all interested.
- Position: Software Engineer (C/C++) - SNEI - SF-24143
- Location: San Francisco, CA
We are developing a middleware platform that enables the rapid development of rich media applications in a cross-platform manner. This platform has already been successfully used in several key media applications on the Sony PlayStation® 3 (including Video Unlimited, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Instant Video), and which are close to launch on Android devices such as the Sony Internet TV and Sony Tablet. We are also working on bringing this application environment to even more devices and platforms going forward.
In this position, you will be directly driving this platform by designing new capabilities for it and helping it to reach its potential on even more hardware platforms.
Skills & Requirements
Here are some other things that are big pluses:
- Experience in graphics programming (especially OpenGL ES 2.x and GLSL, or with realtime software rendering)
- Experience with using third-party audio and video playback libraries
- Experience with embedded systems (especially Linux-based), video game consoles (especially the Sony Playstation® and PS Vita®), and/or Android
- Experience with designing APIs for other peoples' consumption and being able to plan ahead with high-level systems architecture
- Familiarity with C++ best practices, especially when it comes to performance optimization, scalability, reliability, and code reuse
- Experience with optimizing software for different target devices
- Strong technical and analytical skills
- Able to work well both independently and with the cross functional team to ensure high quality of software release
- Effective collaborator and communicator with excellent verbal/written communication skills
- Experience working in an agile/scrum environment
- Experience working with non-PC devices (mobile, console, set-top)
About Sony Network Entertainment
You've probably heard of Sony, and probably think we're a big, immobile company that is mired in old, corporate ways. Sony Network Entertainment is different; we are working to reinvent the way that Sony does things for the next century. We are basically a well-funded startup whose customer is Sony itself, and we have a strong startup culture. The environment is pretty casual and in a newly-renovated office in the good part of SoMa. Most Fridays we go out for happy hour together, and every few weeks we have internal peer-run lectures where we share technologies and knowledge along with company-provided pizza and beer. There are quite a few avid gamers and musicians and artists and people who are just generally into doing cool stuff and changing the world for the better.
Benefits include a 40-hour workweek (or more if you really want), very generous vacation time and sick leave, amazing medical benefits, and getting to play with cutting-edge stuff that the Internet hasn't even randomly generated rumors of yet. There are plenty of other perks, too, such as getting free stuff from Sony Music, discounts on Sony products, and plenty of opportunities to work with business units around the world (well, Japan and Europe, anyway).
Being part of a major corporation does have a few corporate culture side effects, but they are largely ignorable. With that said, here's a bunch of boilerplate our lawyers require:
Sony Corporation of America, based in New York, NY, is the U.S. subsidiary of Sony Corporation, headquartered in Tokyo, Japan. Sony is a leading manufacturer of audio, video, communications, and information technology products for the consumer and professional markets. Its motion picture, television, computer entertainment, music and online businesses make Sony one of the most comprehensive entertainment and technology companies in the world.
Sony Network Entertainment International LLC (SNEI), a subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America, is the premier provider of digital entertainment. Through the Sony Entertainment Network portal, consumers around the world are able to access their favorite digital entertainment conveniently and instantly on their favorite connected devices. SNEI offers the latest and highest quality music, video, and game content through Sony Entertainment Network as well as PlayStation Network while also delivering third-party services. In addition, SNEI provides a compelling consumer experience through innovative content discovery features and a simple user interface that is globally consistent, yet locally relevant.
Also, no, you don't have to wear a box. Unless you really want to.