A pretty simple recipe for a very nice cold drink.
- 1 double shot of espresso (32g from 16g of coffee)
- 6-8 ounces of tonic water (I use Q-Tonic or Fever-Tree)
- Lime wedge (optional)
- Brew the espresso into a cocktail glass
- Add ice and stir
- Slowly add tonic water, stirring to help the foam subside
- Add a squeeze of lime (optional)
The order doesn’t really matter, although setp 5 should probably come last.
I do not recommend pre-chilling the glass, as that can lead to it shattering due to thermal shock.
In the past I have also experimented with pouring the tonic over ice and then brewing the espresso into it, but that tends to cause uncontrolled foaming.
As usual, James Hoffmann has a much deeper dive.